Friday, November 30, 2007

Sludge on a Brush...

I was supposed to finish painting today. The high temperature was also supposed to be in the 40s. Neither happened. Try 33 with a gusting wind rushing in out of the Northwest completely unblocked. My paint started the day at a paltry 45 degrees; it didn't stay there for long. Thus, the picture below represents Phase 2 1/2.


I managed to apply a more or less solid coat with a small roller over the two main columns. The paint was so thick it more or less refused to leave the roller without a significant persuasion. Worse, rolling over a painted area a second time actually removed more paint than it applied, creating all sorts of problems. I only persevered through the two columns so my store wouldn't look utterly ridiculous while I figure out how to finish the job. I didn't bother doing the detail work with a brush, given that for every gap I filled, I probably would have created another two. I also took two car breaks to warm my weatherbeaten hands.

An interesting note: my picture may be appearing in The Pantagraph (the local newspaper). One of their photographers just happened to be milling about, introduced himself, and was thrilled to get a picture of me up on the ladder painting away in the freezing cold. I'll be sure to share my fame in this space if I catch myself on Page 1.

Finally, I'm happy to report that today is Plan Day, of sorts. My architect has everything he needs, and just sent the plans out for printing; the ten copies will be distributed to the Town of Normal and its various departments, Tarter Construction, Edwards Architects, and yours truly. We may still have a few more things to mark up, but at long last it looks like the plans will get where they need to go.

More after what promises to be an eventful day in Champaign tomorrow.

Postscript: I've just spent the past four hours creating a killer job application people can fill out online and email back to me. For the first time in a while, I may just have done something right...maybe.

No comments:

 

Free Hit Counter
OfficeDeals.info