Friday, December 28, 2007

On Hold

Ah, the holidays. It's so wonderful for the majority of the country to slow down for a few weeks and enjoy the company of family and friends, all the while frantically buying and opening gifts and eating more in a week than would normally be consumed in a typical month.

It's also a time during which any meaningful work on a construction project comes to a screeching halt. I had been appraised of this reality in advance by my contractor, who got everything squared away before going on vacation himself; he said that I shouldn't expect much to get done this week. Nevertheless, it still held a surprise or two.

Jeff (contractor) called me the other day to ask if I had communicated at all with the building inspector, which I had not. After I managed to mess things up with the whole oven situation a few weeks ago, I was advised in no uncertain terms to stay away from City Hall so as not to further exacerbate our trust issues with the inspections department. I've behaved myself and steered clear. Something went wrong, however, as Jeff got word from his superintendent that our project is on hold until the building inspector gets more information on the oven and hood. I am hoping this is as simple as sending him the cut sheets and rough-in requirements for the oven, as well as the detailed diagrams for the exhaust hood.

This would probably bother me more if my funding were ready to go; however, no progress has been made on that end, either. I am still waiting for Todd to have his lawyer review some perfunctory SBA documents he has to sign as landlord in order for me to gain access to my money. I also am waiting on an insurance package to arrive any day now - the bank requires proof of business insurance, as well, before releasing the funds.

My great hope is that everything grinds back into motion following the New Year, and that everything will fall into place for an early February opening. Between now and then, right after the funds are released, I'll need to place my orders for equipment and a point-of-sale (POS) system, finalize the menus, hire people, set up dumpster service, purchase my exterior lighting, create a fax menu, and so on.

Should be fun. I've had some good luck, and quite a few setbacks in 2007. Thanks to everyone who has helped me in all sorts of ways as I've tried to get this going, from inhaling copious amounts of dust while knocking things down during demolition to standing on a ladder painting in a snowstorm or the simple favors like lending a ladder. Your help is always appreciated, and I will not forget it. Here's hoping the Dough starts rolling early in '08 and I can begin to return some of the favors that have been done on my behalf!

No comments:

 

Free Hit Counter
OfficeDeals.info