Saturday, January 12, 2008

Good to Go...Almost

This week was definitely more kind to me than those which preceded it. Of greatest import is the return of construction workers to my store. The building inspector is back from vacation, and immediately spoke with my architect and contractor to assuage his lingering concerns.

I sat down on Wednesday afternoon with Jeff (contractor) and his superintendent, Mark. Their belief is that I can be ready to go in about five weeks, which puts me on target for an opening around Valentine's Day. This will work perfectly, as my funding going through next week will allow me to immediately order my equipment; the most critical piece is the walk-in cooler/freezer unit, which has to be in place before the enclosure attaching it to the building can be constructed.

In the meantime, I have spent some time cleaning a three-compartment sink I'll very likely be buying next week. The health inspector has stipulated that it must be rust-free, a state which my persistent scrubbing achieved. I also finalized my menu and continue to work on the lingering question of non-owned auto insurance to cover me in the event that one of my drivers has an accident while on the job.

I am also breathing easier now that I've received basic assurances that I will not have to put up the fencing around the aforementioned walk-in cooler in the dead of winter, but will have the opportunity to negotiate a reasonable extension. The mid-February opening also allows me to go before the design review commission once again to receive formal approval for my matching funds as part of the Town's facade improvement program. The drawback is that any work which is performed before formal approval has been granted is ineligible for the matching funds, so my window vinyl, exterior lighting, and awning must be installed no sooner than Tuesday, February 12. Nevertheless, everything appears to be lining up nicely to coincide with the target opening.

My new work computer arrived (although I am ignoring it at the moment by typing this post on a laptop), and I was able to successfully install QuickBooks; unfortunately, I have yet to summon up the patience to set up my account. My decision to go with Windows XP instead of Vista will allow me to be able to network this office computer to the point-of-sale (POS) terminals, according to my rep. I spent part of Thursday discussing specifics and logistics regarding the installation of my POS system.

I admit I'm getting tired just thinking about all the things that still remain to be done before I can open; however, I'll soon have help in taking care of them, as David signed a lease the other day and will be moved down here as of the first of the month. I tend to work better when someone is around to push and prod me a bit.

With all of these mundane tasks occupying my mind, I've been unable to think about the gradual buildup of brand awareness for the business - the fun part of the job. I am very much looking forward to renewing acquaintances with friends in town with whom I've fallen out of touch over the past year or two, but who work all over town and should therefore be able to organically spread the gospel of the 'zones. Oh, and I'll be occupying a booth at the spring student employment fair next Wednesday - should be fun trying to find employees.

Next week promises a concrete pour behind the store, as well as progress on the plumbing, drywall, and HVAC fronts. I'll be starting to investigate my flooring options, and can't wait to peruse some of the restaurant products available at Sam's Club - I'm hoping to purchase some of my shelving there, among other things. More enthralling updates soon...

No comments:

 

Free Hit Counter
OfficeDeals.info